Sunday, March 24, 2013

You CAN do it! The Principle Approach Homeschool

Do you feel overwhelmed at the thought of furthering your own [re]education? 

I know I did! After all, I'm a wife, a mother and I have a home to manage full-time! You know all about it because you live a busy and productive life, too. With all that our home-life ministries/careers call us to do, how can we possibly manage to further our own education (let alone re-educate ourselves)?!

Well, today I have it impressed upon my heart to encourage you with these words...




Here are some things that I have found to work for me:

1. Master one subject at a time. For me, it ended up being Art! Next in line were Geography,  History and Literature. The others are coming along.

2. Budget time for reading and 4'ring (research, reason, relate, record) the one subject you choose to begin with.

3. With so much information at my fingertips, I need to be sure to learn here a little, there a little, line upon line, precept upon precept. After all, this is the way my children are learning.

4. I learned that I am not alone! The Foundation for American Christian Education has been only a phone call away for me when I have questions! There are also wonderful friends and mentors there for me (and you!): Gina at A Cherished Keeper and Lisa with Me and My House Ministries are a couple of them!

5. Pray and learn to follow the Holy Spirit's leading for educating my children. 

6. Acknowledge that I may not get *all* the curriculum content taught and that it's okay! I remember the first year I was trying to figure all of this out and I didn't get through the whole curriculum. I felt so discouraged and like I failed! I called FACE and one of the gals was so reassuring. She said that even in "traditional schools" teachers don't necessarily teach everything they have had laid out for the school year. Her words of wisdom and comfort for me were to take it one day at a time and that I could do it! I hung up feeling so encouraged and because of her words, I pressed forward and I am so thankful that I did!


What are some tips that you have to offer for encouraging others on this journey? Please leave a comment below sharing some of them!


I hope you are encouraged! 

No comments:

Post a Comment