Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Sweetness of Sabbath Rest

Since having been a mother (and a homeschooling mother at that), finding a day off was nearly impossible. Oh I'd go out with family or friends, but I still would have my work at home awaiting me. 

As wives and mamas, we have a ton if things to do! One of the things the Lord it gently teaching me, is how to manage my time the best... and that it's okay to have a day off. In fact, He commands that I take a day off! Yea!! This is so freeing!

I didn't grow up keeping the Sabbath. Did you? What a gift it is!! We mamas can overwork ourselves to the point of being emotionally, physically and sometimes spiritually weary.

The Sweetness I Experience With Sabbath Rest


homeschool mom day off
{Original image courtesy of Public Domain.}


Have you ever considered that Sabbath Day can be likened to God's *wedding ring* for His *bride*... the church? A beautiful explanation to this analogy for consideration is given by Sabbath Rest Magazine. I hope you download this message and listen to it (or read the text for it). Here is the link for What Does It Mean to Wear God's Wedding Ring of Sabbath?

What My Work Week Looks Like

In all actuality, it probably looks much like yours: Cooking, cleaning, laundry, lesson plans, homeschooling, field trips, Bible Study, etc., etc. ,etc.

Instead of listing everything in detail, let me share what helps me to prepare for delightful Sabbath rest. 

1. Something that helps me the most with my time management are the words...

"Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings." Leviticus 23:3

homeschool mom day off


According to Scripture, the seventh day is the sabbath of rest... it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings. It is the sabbath of the Lord! What a joyful difference this makes in my life!

This keeps me mindful and accountable for making wise use of my time during the work week. Yes, I have a work week as a full-time homemaker. My goal is to do my work as unto the Lord with joy. And then on the seventh day, I am blessed to enjoy the beauty and restfulness of Sabbath keeping and in assembling (a holy convocation) with other followers of Jesus Christ the Messiah (with the understanding that this is not a salvation issue).

2. Make sure my *restful list* is taken care of on Friday before Sabbath begins.

Now you're probably wanting to know what could possibly be on my list. lol! But first, if you are our friends reading this, you have to know that this is what bothers me in my own abode. Please don't feel that you need to even care about these things when I visit your homes. Okay? Okay, here are a few:

  • Dirty dish towels and dish cloths piled up in the bucket waiting to be washed.
  • Dirty counter tops.
  • Clutter on surfaces... this would include the floors... so... yeah... just clutter.
  • Clean laundry not put away.
  • A carpet in need of vacuuming.
  • Full garbage cans. 

Not too much. Eh? I can check off my work week as successful if these few little things are taken care of. Usually the laundry isn't an issue because we stay on top of it during the week. If these aren't completed... it'd be like me bringing work home with me on my day of rest. Because, well, my work is done in my home. These tasks, if unfinished, can compete for my time of rest. 

3. Try to Prepare Meals Ahead of Time


homeschool mom day off
(Original image courtesy of Public Domain.)



I like crock-pot soups or other crock-pot meals for Sabbath dinner. They're easy and done ahead of time.

I try to have a breakfast prepped so it can just be tossed in the oven in the morning. The dish can hide in the oven so it's out of the way and I don't think about cleaning it. It is my day off you know. However, sometimes I'm not very prepared and breakfast is made that morning- sometimes by me or sometimes by Cool Daddy. He likes to step in so I can rest from my regular work. We don't call him Cool Daddy for nothing! ;-) 

Sometimes we have lunch with friends. Sometimes we enjoy it at home with each other. Again, I try to have something prepped ahead of time for lunches too.

None of this is stressful. It's not any different than prepping for a road trip one might go on. But then again... it is different because it's special. It's an appointed time... and invitation by our King to join Him in rest. Goose bumps anyone?!


Now for the Sweetness of Sabbath Rest! 


Okay, I've been diligent during my work week. What is so sweet about Sabbath Rest?...

It's something Yeshua enjoyed on the seventh day, too!
It's okay to minister and help others on sabbath day- as Yeshua did.
It's something the disciples of Yeshua enjoyed.
It's something Yahweh's people have enjoyed.
It's an appointed time set by Yahweh Himself.
It's one of many instructions for life.
It's a blessing.
It's time set apart to focus on Yahweh.
It's time set apart to learn more of Him.
It's time set apart to be with family.
It's time set apart to assemble in fellowship with friends and family- followers of Yeshuah the Messiah.
It's a time to rest from regular work.
It's a time when we can help others.
It's a time free of man-made traditions which burden it down (such as what some of the Jewish leaders did).
I feel at peace... I'm not restless during the week or on Sabbath.

It's my day off! And boy do I feel refreshed afterward! 

The Seventh Day Sabbath has a sweetness to it... that we wish we didn't have to kiss good-bye for another six days. 


homeschool mom day off



Cool Daddy has started a sweet tradition. He gives me a fresh boquet of flowers each Friday before Sabbath begins. I love this!! By the end of the week, the boquet has wilted away. I'm always sorry to see the sweetness gone. But then a new boquet arrives and it is sweeter than the last. It's symbolic of Sabbath Day Sweetness. 

Learning to sift through *traditions of men* and what Scripture actually teaches us is a journey. What a blessing it is to learn to walk in the ways of the Lord. 

"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether." Psalm 19: 7-9

Would you like to share in a comment about how you have been blessed by walking in the Lord's footsteps?


Blessings!


2 comments:

  1. Last year we began our journey of keeping the Sabbath. It was very new and I still feel like we're figuring out how it will look for us, what it means to "keep it holy", etc. etc. I have experienced the sweetness you're speaking of. Isn't it wonderful that it isn't up to my efforts or attaining perfection for his commandment to be such a blessing? Our absolute favorite part is receiving a blessing from Dad. The traditions we've added include baking bread for the evening meal, taking communion together, lighting candles, the blessings, and sometimes we sing. I have a harder time with what to do or not do on the Saturday part of Sabbath. Fridays we prep and then enter in to the evening celebration but Saturdays seem too open. Perhaps finding Sabbath keeping church would help with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it IS wonderful that it isn't about our efforts or attaining perfection.

      The Sabbath is so rich and about relationship with Him. I love that this is a command... a loving direction from Him. <3

      I'm so excited that you have experienced Sabbath sweetness! I hope you do find a Sabbath day congregation you enjoy assembling with. We love ours!

      Thanks for sharing about your experience. :-)

      Delete