Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Word Study Wednesday- Define Wisdom Link Up

Wisdom. What do we really know about it? 


Does it come from books?

Conversations?

 Speakers at conventions?

People with a higher education?

Academics? 
 Who is given wisdom?

Research:
Webster's 1828 Dictionary defines wisdom as:



2. In Scripture, human learning; erudition; knowledge of arts and sciences.

Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians. Acts 7.
 

(Did you notice that ARTS is in the definition, too? The arts get so overlooked in so many spheres! Where did Webster get this idea from? Keep reading!) 

What does the Bible have to say about wisdom?

Wisdom is tied to the heart: 

Wisdom is given to Artists, too! (Not just those more minded in the sciences!)
Exodus 35:35 

God fills us with wisdom!

Houses are built with wisdom, and understanding establishes them:

Man's wisdom (wisdom of the world) is foolishness:

Ask for wisdom and God will give it liberally to you!

Seek out wisdom (set your heart to it):
Ecclesiastes 7:25,  


Reason, Relate, Record:
Personal Application:   

Wisdom is not something that comes from man's ideas; it comes from God alone. To attain spiritual wisdom I need to ask for it and take the time to seek it. I also cannot expect myself or my children to attain spiritual wisdom in all subjects by simply using curriculum man has put together. I must search the Scriptures to learn the principles in each subject as each subject is truly created by our Heavenly Father. I must build my house (my homeschool) with wisdom!

In addition, this study on wisdom is helping me to further embrace the gifts and talents God has given me in art. He designed me this way with a purpose in mind. It has been a struggle for me to figure what that purpose is but as I seek the Principles of Art in His Word, I am learning more about Him and what He wants me to do with this gift/talent He has given me. 

I know I am *weaker* than some others in some areas of the sciences and that has been something I have had a difficult time dealing with. So much emphasis on wisdom/intelligence is expressed in the sciences. But Exodus 35:35 teaches me that God gives wisdom to Artists too! It's a different kind of smart (the Principle of Individuality) and I am rejoicing that despite man's ideas about art, my Heavenly Father tells me it's important too!

I pray you, too, are encouraged to get beyond the mentality of, "It's so much extra work... it takes so much extra time..." to seek wisdom from the Scriptures in all areas of learning. It is my hope that you are encouraged to build your home (and homeschool) with wisdom!


Blessings!
Heather
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment