Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Holy Innocents- Christina Rossetti

The Noah Plan
Literature Week 6, Quarter 1

{Get your free notebook page at this post!}

Holy Innocents

In our study about Christina Rossetti, we learned about her individual contribution to the art of poetry. I appreciate studying the individuality of different poets because I think so much of their uniqueness is seen in their written expression of thought.

Christina  Rossetti
We are working on memorizing portions of her poem, Holy Innocents, to be recited at our Principle Approach homeschool co-op (more posts on the co-op as soon as I can find my battery charger for my camera!).

While I have enjoyed reading poetry throughout my life, I do not recall learning many of the different things about poetry. In preparation for this lesson, we are to read pages 108-123 of The Noah Plan's Literature Guide. However, I chose to focus on pages 108-113, and page 123. I decided to pull out this information to teach with this lesson: 
  • The Rhythmical Sounds of God's Creation,
  • Bird Songs,
  • Seasons,
  • Teaching Poetry through God's Principle of Individuality by Carol Adams
In The Noah Plan English Literature Guide, I read about her background. I love how it is noted that she was born into an artistic and literary family. This, along with her home education (yes, you read that right!), allowed for her gifts and talents in writing to be developed and nurtured. Home education allowed time for that and how wonderful for the rest of us that we may enjoy her poetic works!

I love this poem by her:

What shall I give him, poor as I am;
If I were a shepherd, I would bring Him
a lamb;
If I were a wise man, I would do my part;
Yet what can I give Him?
I'll give Him my heart.


Some little things we did to add to this lesson:

We sat outside to listen to the sounds of God's Creation (early morning is a wonderful way to start this or on a nature walk).

I have a CD with just songs of birds I used that to listen to bird songs (I found it at Craft Warehouse a few years ago and love it! I can bring the feeling of Spring into our home just by popping in that CD!).

Download your free notebook page for this lesson here.



Blessing to you!
Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment