Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Craft a Renaissance Queen's Crown!

I have to admit that I have no idea why Queen Mary wore a crown like the one below. Okay, well, really I haven't researched yet to see if this is actually considered a crown. Nonetheless, she is depicted in paintings as wearing something similar to this:

© Principled Academy
As you know from my previous post, we are studying a Protestant Reformer a year and this year we are learning about Lady Jane Grey (a 9 day queen).

In our homeschool co-op, our children are giving a *drama report* about Lady Jane Grey. One of our daughters will be depicting Queen Mary and another will be depicting Lady Jane. Dressing up in time period costumes (to the best of our ability) is not only fun, but it helps us *bring history to life* when studying any time period. I guess you could say it's similar to when people dress of for English Country Dancing or Living History Museums. It's just that we sometimes do this in our homeschool throughout the year. :)

I'm making costumes for the kids with items we have on hand. This is how I crafted the *crown*...

Items I used:


Poster board
Acrylic Paint (black and metallic gold)
Paintbrushes
Scrap fabric
Scrap eyelet ruffle material
Hot glue gun (and of course hot glue sticks)
Little gems

Here are the steps (I tried to narrow them down some...):

© Principled Academy
Cut a wide strip of poster board. Cut one edge with a curve.
© Principled Academy
Fold the strip in half widthwise. Cut the bottom edge to match the upper curve.

© Principled Academy
Do this with the strip folded lengthwise.
© Principled Academy
© Principled Academy
© Principled Academy
And there you have it! A hand crafted queen-like headdress of sorts. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out! 
Blessings!



No comments:

Post a Comment