Thursday, January 24, 2013

DIY Inspirational Mugs!

©Principled Academy 2013
 
It all started as a project for a recent girls' club in our homeschool co-op. One of my daughters did a word study for the word drink, and she decided on this verse for the devotion and craft:


13 "Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”
John 4:13, 14

She thought this verse would be perfect for this project because as the girls (and moms) drank out of the mugs, they would be reminded of the significance of this verse. I love to see her go about applying the Principle Approach® on her own! :) I found it very fitting, too! I also like it because it goes along with the method of applying Bible Principles to all of life and learning.

As I contemplated what I'd like to do for my own mug, I decided to base it off of my blog theme (which also ties in with our homeschool). I had a lot of fun and overall I like the final result! As I drink out of it, I'll be reminded of John 4:13, 14 and also Romans 12:2.

This is how I did it:

©Principled Academy 2013

©Principled Academy 2013

©Principled Academy 2013

©Principled Academy 2013

©Principled Academy 2013

In the many DIY tutorials on this type of project, the tutorials say that the colors bake onto the mug. While the heat helped to set the colors on my mug, the colors did smudge when applying some pressure and rubbing a finger over them. So, I decided to add a coat of Mod Podge over my designs to seal them. I avoided putting the designs and Mod Podge along the lip of the cup. The mug needs to be hand washed.

So, what do you think? Will you give this project a try? I hope you do! 

Blessings!


Copyright 2013 of Principled Academy
 The duplication of articles, photos, or blog entries without the express permission of the owner are strictly prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment