Sunday, January 6, 2013

Half-Year Review

It's that time again for me to sit down with each of our children and positively review how things are going with their learning. These things are actually addressed on a weekly basis at our Sunday night family meetings. However, the quarterly overview gives them a broader picture about what they have each accomplished.

© Principled Academy
 
I love the criteria offered in the Noah Plan curricula! It helps for the kids to have a copy in the front of their notebooks. I have them review it daily to help them remember the commitment it takes to do well. I appreciate the report cards offered via the Noah Plan curricula as well. It all makes going over goals, successes and areas of improvement so easy.

You see in the photo that Christian Self-Government has been *graded.* This is based on individual goals discussed and set with each child. It by no means shows that *they have arrived.* We all will always have areas to continually mature in. It shows that I have taken notice of those areas they have been teachable in and working toward maturity. Come to think of it, I really ought to have either SP for Slow Progress; a check mark for Steady Progress; or a check mark combined with a plus sign for Excellent Progress rather than a letter grade. Hmmm... where's the whiteout?

It's also time for me to review how I think things have been going on my end. This is a list of what I evaluate at the middle of the school year and also again at the end of the school year:


  • What has the schedule been like the first half (or second half) of the year?
  • How are subjects going for each child?
  • How much time was given to each subject?
  • What has gone well?
  • What needs improvement?
  • What changes should be considered for the rest of (or next) the school year?
  • What materials/resources am I interested in using?
  • What personal goals have I accomplished? Is there need of modifying the schedule to reach or continue to reach these?
What about you? Do you evaluate things on your end during the school year? What questions would you add to this list?

Blessings!

Copyright 2013 of Principled AcademyThe duplication of articles, photos, or blog entries without the express permission of the owner are strictly prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment